Never Underestimate the Power of Words.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Another Favorite Author

Now I know we were supposed to choose one, but I could not decide between George Gordon, Lord Byron, and Mr. John Keats. It is interesting to know that Keats and Gordon were rivals. Keats had a dislike for Gordon and Gordon for Keats, at least when Keats was still alive. This is what Keats had to say on Gordon, 'You speak of Lord Byron and me - There is this great difference between us.He describes what he sees - I describe what I imagine - Mine is the hardest task.' John Keats in a letter to his brother George, September 1819. 


Here are the sites for the two of them: http://englishhistory.net/byron/contents.html
My favorite poem by Lord Byron is When We Two Parted. I LOVE that poem. 
http://englishhistory.net/keats/contents.html
I had already posted my favorite piece of work by Keats which was an Ode on Melancholy

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Lord Byron's poem is so beautiful, I can see why it is one of your favorites. I love reading other people's favorites because most of the time I am exposed to something new. I like to print out and keep a collection of poems that I really like as I find them and I have printed out this one. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love poetry from the Romantic period, so it's awesome that you like Keats too! One poem I've always liked of his is "La Belle Dame Sans Merci." It's a poem about a femme fatale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raally great start(s) to your blog. Thank you! All that Keats! He really wrote the prototypical romantic odes. And I'm impressed with your reference to the letters of Keats (they are great), even one criticizing the amazing Lord Byron!

    In Byron's day he was described as "mad, bad, and dangerous to know."

    ReplyDelete